Explore. Experience. Engage.

Powered by our sister site, Family Vacation Critic

Sandals Grande St. Lucian Report April, 2006

Author: Host DebbieH103
Email: DebbieH103@aol.com (More Trip Reviews by Host DebbieH103)
Date of Trip: April 2006

Getting There:
We left on a flight departing Houston IAH on Friday, March 31 at 7:20 pm. We were due into Miami at 10:32 p.m. We booked the Miami International Airport Hotel in terminal E. We had some confusion because on our last flight wher we did this, we had to claim our bags. We went to claim them, and they never came. We found out after all the bags were off that our bags went on to St. Lucia.

We had our carry-on stuff, and we got to our room at 11:15. We watched a little TV and went to bed.

The next morning our next American flight was at 10:25. We didn't board until almost time to leave, and it was quite crowded. We got to Hewanarra with no issues. We claimed our bags after standing in line at customs. Nobody this time had a "thing" about laptops, etc.

We arrived in 90 minutes to Sandals grand, right at 4:30 pm. On Sat, April 1. We'd been transported I a van with 3 other couples. There was also another van. Both were loaded to the gills.

We checked in at the lobby. We were given cold towels and champagne. We were given only one room key (card) but were able to get another before leaving the lobby. We identified our bags, and since our room (2006) was two rooms into the building that is just off the lobby, we were settled in rather soon, at 5:10 p.m.

Our room
It was a 2nd floor room above the swimup pool. We could see the ocean from a distance but mostly had a pool and garden view. We had a fridge with bottled water, 2 diet cokes, 2 off brand colas, and 2 off brand clear sodas. This was never stocked during our stay. I called and asked for concierge and was denied, but someone brought 2 more Diet Cokes and some beer and gin (don't know why they picked those things, etc.). The TV was, indeed a 20 inch one.

There was an icemaker near the room and stairs that lead to the lover's pool where they had the cushioned chairs with the cabanas. The beach was behind that.

The room had a marble double sink and a decent sized tub with built-in shower. Past the bed, there was a table and two chairs where you could sit for the continental breakfast or whatever.

We also had a balcony with two chairs and a table.

There was construction past the next building, this appeared to be the upcoming area for the new rondovals.

They were in the process of putting in flat screen TVs and doing other renovations, so they were banging on the room next to us from time to time.

Evening of April 1
I watched what I could of the sunset before it hid behind the hill and then got a big club soda and looked for just the right hot tub. Up in the lobby, they had fried wings and fried fish but first I was too early and then we were both too late. We did have cheese and crisp veggies. Lots of people just hang out in the lobby.

For dinner we went to Barefoot by the Sea at 6:45. By then, there were several tables of people. You sit at cushioned picnic tables. Half the men wore t-shirts, which bothered me. Todd was the only man in long pants I think.

Wait staff were white gloved and very attentive and cordial. They could tell how tired we were.

The appetizers and make your own Caesar were at a self-serve table. I had mussels, and Todd had fish fritters for appetizer. The croutons in the salad were exceptional.

For soup, we had seafood chowder that was tasty. We were going to share surf (shrimp) and turf, but I was full when it came and so tired. We had ordered it medium, but it was well done and tough. I had heard to order medium rare but forgot. I just ate veggies, and Todd did what he could with the entrees. The potatoes were a mix of sweet and regular and then there were some stir fried ones.

I ordered a tropical mousse for dessert. I ate a few bites. It was OK but not special.

Todd was antsy to see basketball. He watched both of last night's final four games. I went to palladium to see what was going on but everyone there was watching the game on the big screen. Nothing else going on except lots of people playing pool or sitting at the pub or the lobby.

Related Trip Reviews
St. Lucia Trip Reviews
Caribbean Trip Reviews
Send Us Your Trip Review!

Thank You For Signing Up!

Please Note: To ensure delivery of your free e-letters, please add news@independenttraveler.com to your address book.

We're committed to protecting your privacy and will not rent or sell your e-mail address. By proceeding, you agree to our privacy policy and Terms of Use.