Explore. Experience. Engage.

Powered by our sister site, Family Vacation Critic

Coastering in SoCal -- Part IV

Author: USRoadTripper
Email: usroadtripper@yahoo.com (More Trip Reviews by USRoadTripper)
Date of Trip: September 2006

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin was closed during the last trip because it was right after the little girl had gotten hit by the ride vehicle. So it was a completely new experience for me, and one that I thought was pretty good. I've never seen the movie, so I didn't really understand what was going on, but I thought it was fun nonetheless. Despite trying really hard, I wasn't able to control the spinning on the car. I'd try to spin it, but I had to pull or push so hard that I eventually gave up on it.

At this point, we split up for a bit. Kevin wanted to go back to DCA and see the Aladdin show again, and I wanted to reride a few rides so I could video tape them. Once he was off, I got in line for the Tomorrowland side of the Matterhorn again. I called Jahan and chatted with him through my wait, which only ended up being about 10 minutes. I got great video of it! We were also racing with another bobsled, which hadn't happened on my previous two rides.

While I was there, I rerode Alice in Wonderland, then Mr. Toad, then Pinocchio, video taping each one. Most of the video didn't come out well, but at least the sound recorded well. I wanted to run back over to DCA for a bit to ride Screamin' again, so I started towards the front of the park. I decided to stop and watch the First 50 Years movie on the way out, which I really enjoyed. It was pretty much just a humorous timeline of the changes Disneyland had gone though...I'm glad it wasn't a sappy tear jerker like One Man's Dream! (which I love, but don't watch too often since it's a more emotional film).

I started to leave the park, but just then the train pulled in, so I ran up to the train station to get a ride. I figured that if I didn't ride it then, I wouldn't get a chance to. And is it me, or did they change the train? I could swear that in 2001, all the seats on the train faced the right side...so all the guests were facing outward as you went through the Small World facade. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't remember it being a normal train. After the ride was over, I left and went back to DCA.

My only real objective at DCA was to ride California Screamin' again since I like it so much. I pretty much bee-lined for the Pier, stopping only to take photos along the way. I rode in the front seat for my ride, and it was once again a great ride. I thought about going back around for another ride, but ultimately I decided not to.

I called Sean, and he and Pamela had already met up with Kevin, and they were having dinner at Red Rockets Pizza Port. I assumed that someone would have called me when it was time for dinner, but I was wrong. I left the park, and when I got inside Disneyland, I called again, and they said that they were about to get in line for Pirates. I got them to wait for me, then scurried over there as fast as I could. The wait was significantly shorter for this ride than the first!

After the ride, I was really hungry, but I didn't just want to grab a snack somewhere since I was wanting to stop for a full meal. Kevin said that he wanted another mint julep, so when we got to the mint julep bar, I got a Coke. I was so hungry and thirsty that I downed my Coke almost immediately, so we headed into the counter service restaurant to get a refill. Afterwards, we browsed the Disney Gallery, and oogled over all the stuff that's too expensive for us to own! Sean and Pamela are collecting these miniatures of Main Street, and you can buy a big table to put them all in to display them...they were really awesome, but way too large for something I would collect!

We'd picked up Fast Passes for Indiana Jones earlier at some point, so we wanted to use them before the fireworks. Sean and Pamela said that they'd go stake out good seats in front of the castle, so we rode while they held spots for us. We didn't even need the Fast Passes since there was no line, so we kept them as souvenirs.

We found Sean and Pamela directly in front of the castle, which were perfect fireworks viewing seats! I, however, had had more than my fill of fireworks already, so I wanted to go hit up a few more rides before the night was over. Sean decided to wait with Kevin and watch the fireworks, while Pamela and I went off to ride some more. Having some time to kill, we decided to ride Astro Orbiter. The line was really long, but it wasn't so bad since we were able to chat through the whole wait. Afterwards, we rode Buzz with two Fast Passes that Sean had handed off to us earlier.

With fireworks having not even started yet, we opted to ride the Autopia. The wait time was posted at 20 minutes, but we ended up waiting about 45 minutes instead! At one point, Sean called to say that the fireworks had been cancelled due to winds, and that they'd meet us after our ride. I really like the Autopia...definitely my favorite miniature car ride because of the off-road section and the hot rusted nuts! The ride was very dark, and I could barely tell what any of the scenery was, so I almost missed the hot rusted nuts!

After the ride, we found the boys right where they said they'd be. I mentioned that I still had not had dinner and that I was about to starve, so we decided to stop in the Main Street bakery on the way out since that was just about the only thing still open. I ended up getting a turkey sandwich, a huge chocolate chocolate chip muffin and a glass of water. It was all great, and almost too much to finish! Sean and Pamela split a giant cinnamon roll, and we all sat in the Carnation Cafe while we finished our goodies.

By the time we were all done, the park was almost empty, so we took the opportunity to get some shots of the Main Street lights with very few people around. Most of them came out really well! I was quite surprised and impressed with myself! On the way out, we found Paul Pressler's commemorative brick, and took a few pictures of the DCA lights. We wandered out through Downtown Disney, but didn't stop in any of the shops, and soon made it back to the car.

Once at the hotel, we bid our friends farewell until next year, and headed to the room. I tried to pack up a bit of stuff, but that didn't really work too well, so I just went on to sleep.

Continue reading Part V

Related Trip Reviews
California Trip Reviews
Send Us Your Trip Review!

Thank You For Signing Up!

Please Note: To ensure delivery of your free e-letters, please add news@independenttraveler.com to your address book.

We're committed to protecting your privacy and will not rent or sell your e-mail address. By proceeding, you agree to our privacy policy and Terms of Use.