Explore. Experience. Engage.

Powered by our sister site, Family Vacation Critic

Carnival Legend

Author: Lori Steelman
Date of Trip: July 2012

Our 7 night cruise on the Legend left on Sunday, July 1, 2012, from Tampa. My daughter, 9, and I went with my sister, brother in law, and 2 nephews 12 & 8. This was mine and my daughter’s first time on Carnival-with 3 previous cruises on Royal Caribbean. We left on Friday to get an early start on our vacation. We live in Middle Georgia and drove to Tampa.


We got to Tampa around 9:30 Friday evening and checked into the Best Western Bay Harbor Hotel. We got two rooms next to each other. We had a very nice view of the harbor. When we got there, they told us that the pool was closed but, since there were other people still swimming, we let the kids swim for a while. They love night swimming and so do I!

The next morning, I was the first one up-of course. I went searching for something to eat-anything-because I was starving. Nothing. Not even a convenience store within walking distance. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel called Crabby Bill’s that serves breakfast, but I didn’t know that at the time. Oh well. My sister and daughter woke up when I returned and we drove to Publix and got some pastries, juice, wine, flip flops, etc.... It was a little drive and we got a little lost. When we finally returned to the hotel, the others were awake and we got ready and headed to the pool. When we booked the hotel, the pictures of showed a small beach area in front of it. Small is the key word here. There was no beach at high tide and even at low tide, very little beach. That was okay though..the pool was very nice and had bartenders/waiters which made it even better! We ordered lunch from Crabby Bill’s-pizza for the kids and they were HUGE. They could have shared one, but we ordered three not knowing how big they were. We ordered beef nacho’s and chicken nacho’s for the adults. Holy moly-again they were huge! They brought it all to the pool with our cocktails. We had a great, full day at the pool.

Later on, we got ready for dinner and went for a very short walk on the tiny beach while we waited on our table at Crabby Bill’s (the only restaurant that we didn’t have to drive to). We watched the wave runners for a while and took some pictures. We were on the wait list for about an hour before we were seated. It then took another 20 minutes to get our drinks and another hour after that to get our appetizers. I must say that the difference between day and night service at Crabby Bill’s is just that. Finally, after waiting a little over 2 hours for our entrees, we left. No apologies, but we did get the drinks and appetizers comped. And we did get to see a very nice sunset over Tampa.

The kids were still hungry, so we decided to let them swim and we ordered Domino’s pizza by the pool, so they were very happy. They swam for about an hour and then we were off to bed! Busy day tomorrow!

Day 1-Tampa

I woke up early again Sunday morning-DEPARTURE DAY-WHOO-HOO!-around 6:30. Everyone else woke up shortly after that, excited! We had leftover pastries, packed the van and headed for the port. It took about 15 minutes to get there from the hotel. Everyone was very happy to see the Legend waiting on us. We got to the Port of Tampa around 10:30 and it took about 10 minutes to get our Sail & Sign cards. We had a seat for a few minutes and boarded at 11:30. I like to get there as early as possible to enjoy the ship as long as possible.

All I can say is WOW...she is a beautiful ship! Lots of urns everywhere, but still she is beautiful!
My BF saw the picture of the elevators and said that it looked like something out of Harry Potter.
First things first....the DOD!! My sister and I had our first one shortly after we boarded. It was a frozen Kiss on the Lips and it was fabulous! The DJ was playing tunes and the drinks were icy cold. Yay!
We brought our masks to go snorkeling, but forgot the snorkels. Luckily, they were selling them at Guest Services for $5.00, so we went ahead and purchased them while we were down there. Then it was time for lunch on the Lido. Our carry-ons in hand, we went to the Lido Deck for the buffet. MMMMMM tasty! The kids got chicken tenders and burgers from the grill and the adults got a variety. All very good.

Our cabins were ready about 1:00, so we went our separate ways to unpack and get ready for the pool. My sister and her family had a balcony cabin on the Panorama Deck (8) and A and I had a inside cabin on the Empress Deck. I booked us a handicapped cabin (6102)...not on purpose!! The web site didn’t distinguish between regular cabins and handicapped and when I realized this, I called Carnival and told the woman what happened-because I didn’t want to take a handicapped cabin from someone who needed it. She said that it was fine, that if they needed the cabin, they would move us to another. They didn’t need it. It was HUGE. Much larger than our previous staterooms on RCCL. Our Stateroom Attendant was Andar Silalhi and he was the best Steward ever! I asked him for ice one time and our bucket was filled from that time on. He took very good care of us. I tried to go ahead and give him his extra tip, but he said “No, Ms. L___, please wait until the end of your cruise”-which I did.

After unpacking, we went to the pool. Even though the pools are sort of small, there is about a 3 foot area around the pool where you can wade in the water or sit and have some cocktails. That was nice. We got chairs right in front of the hot tub and pool. I only got in the hot tub once on the cruise..there were a whole lot of kids in it most of the time, including ours. The kids liked it because it wasn’t salt water. I would have liked to have heard the Calypso Band on deck, but the DJ wasn’t bad at all. My daughter really liked him!

We were called to the muster drill around 3:00, so we went our separate ways and met back by the pool afterwards. We stayed at the pool for a couple more hours and then went to the Sports Deck to watch the Legend go under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, which I was really looking forward to! It did not disappoint!

We had Your Time Dining, so after the bridge we went and took showers and got ready for dinner. On the way back to the room, we passed a very drunk chick in stilletos and a skirt that barely covered her downstairs stumbling down the hallway. She almost slammed into my daughter and then got bitchy because she said we were in her way. I let it slide. We saw her later in the MDR screaming and snatching her approx. 3 year old daughter. We saw her a lot and several times she was all over the poor little girl.

Dinner this night was very good! We all enjoyed everything. I then took the kids back to my cabin so that my sister and her husband could go an donate a chunk of change to the casino. The kids and I watched Pirates of the Caribbean on our portable DVD player. A great first day!!

Day 2-Fun Day At Sea

Up at 6:45-and I was the only one. I went for my walk around the ship and enjoyed the beautiful view...there is not much better than sunrise on a ship! I took a bunch of pictures and then went back to wake up A. We got to breakfast around 8..delicious again, and then met my sister at the pool about 8:45. She ordered us a DOD-a Miami Vice. Early, yes, but quite tasty even at 9:30 a.m. I stayed at the pool until about 3:30 and then went for a short nap and A stayed with my sister. I picked her up from their cabin about 5:00 and we explored the ship some more. She loved the Enchanted Forest. We had to take many, many pictures in there with many poses. Haha.. We found the game room near there too.

It was formal night in the MDR. We got there around 7:00 and only had to wait about 20 minutes. We were looking forward to the lobster! Our waiter this night was a real jerk. His name was Young and he had a serious attitude problem. When he finally got to the table, his greeting was “What do you want?” Nice. Standing there tapping his foot and rolling his eyes while we ordered. We never got to order anything from the bar. I asked Young if he would ask the person who takes the drink orders to come to our table. I guess this ticked him off even more than having to do his job and take our order. I finally went with the kids to the bar to get their cokes and my cocktail. This kind of ruined the dinner for me and made me not want to return to the MDR-and we didn’t for two nights. I don’t think that I will do Your Time Dining after this trip. I like having the same waiters every night. Other than this person, all of the crew on the ship were very nice and helpful.

After dinner, we went to the 9:00 showing of “Jazz Hot”. We took a bottle of champagne. We all enjoyed it, except for my 8 y.o. nephew. He was snoozing by the time it was over. Tuesday was going to be busy! We had a dolphin swim and lunch booked at Dolphinaris in Cozumel. Yay!

Related Trip Reviews
Tampa Trip Reviews
Belize Trip Reviews
Cayman Islands Trip Reviews
Honduras Trip Reviews
Central & South America Trip Reviews
Mexico Trip Reviews
Caribbean Trip Reviews
Florida Trip Reviews
Send Us Your Trip Review!

Thank You For Signing Up!

Please Note: To ensure delivery of your free e-letters, please add news@independenttraveler.com to your address book.

We're committed to protecting your privacy and will not rent or sell your e-mail address. By proceeding, you agree to our privacy policy and Terms of Use.