Avoid Philadelphia AirportAuthor: William Rauch
Date of Trip: January 2001
Although Philadelphia is an engaging city it is unfortunately plagued by possibly (more accurate probably) the worst airport in the United States. My only reservation is I haven't traveled through every airport in this country although I have been through all the major ones. This sounds like the start of a bad experience being bitterly recanted sadly no 10 actually. I am forced through geographic circumstance to attempt to fly through Philadelphia on most of the many occasions I need to travel by air.
I will not go into the gritty and unbelievable details of slovenly conditions, inept baggage personnel, long lines for security checks (only one gate is open although they have staff standing around for three), Airport personnel standing around talking as if in a City Park after dark looking to "hook up" and inevitable delays (NEVER had a full itinerary go without a delay) however I will try to give tips for dealing with the mess that is Philadelphia Airport.
1) If rain is in the forecast immediately arrange for a Motel because you will be delayed for several hours or canceled
2) If your trip has a connecting flight within a three hour drive take a rental car and avoid flying out of Philadelphia. Flying in is much easier than getting out.
3) Eat before you get to the Airport the rates are extremely high and the quality is low. Although there are several excellent Coffee places.
4) If your a smoker remember the Security lines are VERY slow you will need to factor at least an hour for this break.
5) If you need to use the Rest Rooms in a sitting position get a small can of Lysol Spray or an equivalent Bacteria killing solvent (not a joke).
6) Take some reading material, work or mind occupying games with you for when you are delayed.
I hope you experience is NOTHING like my many experiences and my tips are unnecessary.
Related Trip ReviewsPhiladelphia Trip Reviews
Mid-Atlantic Trip Reviews
Send Us Your Trip Review!