Shopping is great fun in Wellington, whether you're browsing bookstores, sifting through local markets or wandering through upscale boutiques. If you're looking for souvenirs, consider a bottle of wine, perhaps a pinot noir from the nearby Wairarapa region, or a pair of gloves made from a blend of possum fur and sheep's wool. Both will warm you up back home.
Get a glimpse of history while you shop in the Old Bank Arcade on Lambton Quay. The building is Old-World beautiful, and the remains of an old-time ship can be seen through a section of glass flooring.
The aforementioned Lambton Quay is the prime spot for big-name designers and department stores. (It's often called the Golden Mile.)
Head to Cuba Street for second-hand stores and funky boutiques (along with plenty of cafes where you can stop for a refresher).
Wellington has a number of markets worth browsing for food, crafts and artisan wares, including the Harbourside Market (Sunday morning), the Wellington Underground Market (all day Saturday) and the Wellington Night Market (Friday and Saturday nights).
- Go Stargazing on Mt. John
- Visit the Wildlife Capital
- Take a Food Tour in the Bush
- Drive the Surf Highway
- Have an Art Adventure in Queenstown
- Stay on a Working Farm
- Search for Kiwi Birds on Stewart Island
- Climb a Dormant Volcano in Auckland
- Experience Maori Life in Kaikoura
- Bike the Otago Central Rail Trail
- Go Behind the Scenes in Wellywood
- Swim with Rare Dolphins in Akaroa
- Uncover a Buried Village in Rotorua
New Zealand Lodging
Getting Around New Zealand
Auckland City Guide
Wellington City Guide
25 Ways to Save in New Zealand