Today’s post is part of a new weekly series called “Travel Toss-Up,” in which we ask you to take your pick between two amazing travel experiences.

This week’s toss-up offers a choice of two desert adventures.

Would you rather …

… take a camel ride through the dunes of the Sahara in Morocco, or …

morocco sahara desert camel dune

… explore the ancient city of Petra, Jordan?

petra jordan

Tell us your preference in the comments below!

– written by Sarah Schlichter

9 Responses to “Travel Toss-Up: Desert Adventures”

1. Colleen says:

Definitely Jordan! Have heard nothing but raves about it from everyone AND Peter O’Toole’s a account of riding a camel in “Lawrence of Arabia” has almost ensured I’d be happy to see them in their element, but not ride one. This city gal hasn’t even got horse back riding experience.
    Petra sounds completely amazing….can’t wait.

Great new add to blog! :)

2. Martha says:

Petra! I have several friends who have been there. They tell me it is incredible and is a must have on the travel bucket list.

3. Definitely has to be Petra! We spent an amazing day there — but it wasn’t nearly enough time. Look forward to going back some day.

4. Nancie says:

I’ve done the camel trek, and the camel survived! It’s Petra for me; a place I have wanted to see forever!

5. Nadia says:

For me, it’s Petra. I hope to be able to visit this year or next.

6. Annette J says:

I’ve just come back from Morocco: the Sahara begins near the town of Merzouga, and the dunes are truly incredible. But having visited Petra in Jordan for a day during the Arab Spring, In my experience, both are indeed fabulous and should be on more bucket lists, but I must choose Petra. Either way, don’t go in the summer when daytime temps are way over 100F.

7. Janet says:

PETRA is my dream destination! I did the camel-ride thing as a kid while living in Sudan, and visited the old Nubian slave capital and saw the temples & pyramids of Cush at that time.
    Now, it’s time for Petra.

8. Deborah Fisher says:

I pick Petra anytime. I made a day visit to Petra years ago, and yearned to go back for a multiple-night stay ever since. By the way, first-time Petra visitors, the local Bedouins provide camel-back, horseback, and chariot rides between the Welcome Center and the Treasury at the end of sikh. So have have your cake and eat it, too, by going to Petra!

9. Evangaline says:

Definitely Morocco. Would love to ride a camel on the beach- apparently Essaouira is great for that. Would also love to see the snake charmers in Fez.