woman globe If you could pick one city in the world to live in for just one year where would it be?

Not surprisingly, when we asked this on IndependentTraveler.com’s Facebook page, we ended up with a fascinatingly eclectic list of cities located all over the world. But a few cities were a bit more popular than others.

Paris, for instance, rocked the list with 14 out of 65 poll respondents selecting the City of Lights as the number one city they’d love to explore for a year. Other cities in France that got a mention included Honfleur and Lyon.

12 Best France Experiences

London also ranked high on the list with six people selecting British capital as the place they’d like to spend a year. But London wasn’t the only U.K. city to see some love. Edinburgh got three votes and the small coastal town of Lyme Regis in West Dorset also got a vote, specifically for “all those fossils!”

13 Best England Experiences

Personally, I was happy to see Sydney appear five times, as the Down Under city is my choice for where I’d like to spend a year.

Surprisingly, no single Italian city got more than one vote, though many made it onto the list including Venice, Amalfi, Florence, Rome and Rimini.

11 Best Italy Experiences

Other cities to get more than one vote included Papeetee (Tahiti), Barcelona, Vienna, Bangkok and New York City.

Where would you like to spend a year? And why?

– by Dori Saltzman

10 Responses to “Where on Earth?”

1. Geneva.
    Why? – Absolutely beautiful country, fantastic outdoor adventure, close proximity to explore Europe with a very clean organized railway, mouthwatering chocolate around every corner, pastries everywhere, fondue to your right, tasty beer & brats to your north, champagne & cheese to your left, and perhaps a yodel or two off a mountain near you!

2. Mari says:

I live in San Jose del Cabo, Baja Sur, Mexico. It is beautiful and my choice from everywhere I have traveled in the world. I have been to Italy, Florence would be choice two.

3. I would want to spend a year in Jerusalem, Israel. I have friends & extended family there. Israel is also part of the cradle of civilization. There’s so much history to explore

4. Jennifer O says:

London because as Samuel Johnson said, “A man who is tired of London is tired of life.” — so much to see and explore it would take a year to do it justice.

5. Doreen says:

Rome,
    Why? becase there is so much to see and do. It would take a year to explore the little private owned eateries (which have food that is out of the world)and learn more of its history. I have been there twice and would go back in a heartbeat.

6. Kaylin says:

I spent a year living in Busan, S Korea and 7 months living in a smallish town in Normandy, France, called Dieppe. And, I am getting ready to spend a year living in Auckland, New Zealand (I’m leaving in 10 days!). My number 1 city though would definitely be London. I have a friend who lives there and have visited several times. I just love London so much! (despite the weather) I never get tired of seeing new things, and even some things I’ve already seen, in London. I like Paris a lot too, I did study abroad there for 5 weeks in university and have another friend who lives there as well. The only problem with Paris is if you don’t speak French fluently, it’s a little hard to get around/talk to people sometimes. Sydney is also high on my list and one place I hopefully will actually get to live in one day (fingers crossed I can save enough money for the working holiday visa there after the one I’m doing in New Zealand).

7. Nancy says:

I would pick just about anywhere in Japan. I’ve traveled there quite a bit over the past few years. I would love to pick up and move for a year or two…in fact I plan to do that before long! Japan has friendly people, gorgeous landscapes, delicious food, intriguing cultural attractions, sports, shopping, hiking…you name it, it can be found in Japan. Visiting as an independent traveler is quite affordable. I highly recommend it if you’re looking for adventures in new settings.

• Chuck McQue says:

I’ve been a working resident in Japan, near Osaka, for 30 years. You hit the nail on the head with what to do and see here. You left off hot springs! Even around residential Kobe we have lots of them. All same sex. Starting at about $4.USD, you can spend as long as you like soaking and changing from pool to pool. I have a few listed in my blog, but prices might have changed.
      http://thekobeonsenexaminer.blogspot.jp I would cut down the one-year time limit to only eight months, October through May, since the summer months can be really wet, hot, and humid. Or spend those four months in Hokkaido where Japanese often escape to.

8. lexjax says:

I would pick Sydney…very “user friendly”…the train system is a great way to explore the whole country and Tazzy, as well!

9. amy conger says:

It depends who is paying for it……New York might be terrific but we can’t afford it.
    Maybe Santiago, Chile.
    Maybe Venice. Italy, that is.
    Maybe San Francisco.