royce leather RFID passport walletAs if travelers didn’t have enough to worry about. In addition to money belts to help us hide passports and credit cards under our clothes, there’s now a whole new line of travel gear to protect the electronic data stored on those documents.

Take the Royce RFID-Blocking Passport Wallet. This attractive leather case, which retails for $34, is designed to protect travelers against identity theft.

Since 2007, all U.S. passports have been issued with a small electronic chip embedded in the back cover. The chip uses radio frequency identification (RFID) technology to store information, including all of the identifying data printed on the front page of your passport, as well as a biometric identifier — a digital image of the passport photograph that can be used for facial recognition technology when you cross international borders. The information in the chip is transmitted via radio waves when the passport is scanned by an RFID reader.

The Best Way to Carry Money Overseas

Your passport may not be the only document you carry that has an RFID chip; many newer credit cards have them as well. (If you’re not sure, look for the term “PayPass” printed on your MasterCard, “expresspay” on your AmEx or “payWave” on your Visa — or call your credit card company.)

The rise in RFID technology has raised concerns about just how securely these chips store our information. Anyone with an RFID reader who gets close enough to the chip would in theory be able to read the embedded data — including card numbers and expiration dates — even through clothing or a purse.

royce leather RFID passport walletDoes this mean you should race out and purchase an RFID-blocking wallet? Not necessarily. The U.S. State Department offers a detailed description of the security features of its electronic passports here, which explains that the passports themselves have RFID-blocking metal built into the cover — so the chip can’t be read unless the passport is opened.

I think a protective wallet would be more useful for credit cards, which seem to be at greater risk for data skimming. The cheapskates among us can also block RFID readers by wrapping their cards in aluminum foil — if you’re willing to lose a few style points.

Four Common Travel Disasters and How to Prevent Them

– written by Sarah Schlichter

62 Responses to “Could This Wallet Keep Your Passport Safe?”

1. Gisele Phipps says:

I have just sent for my passport renewal (current one expires in August) and this would be welcome to protect the new version with the chip. It is really a pretty color too! Thanks!

2. John says:

Looks great! Thanks for always bringing us great content

3. Sue says:

I have little protectors for my Credit Cards, but would LOVE this for my passport !!!!!

4. Patrcik says:

I think I’m gonna buy one now for my wife now on Wayfair…looks absolutely gorgeous and pink is definitely her favorite color!

5. Cindy L says:

I just renewed my passport and came back Sunday from my cruise, my passport is sitting with my hubbie’s with a blue rubber band around them. This holder is definitely a much better way to go!!!

6. Diana Z says:

Pink is my favorite color! This would be perfect for preventing identity theft overseas!!

7. Molly says:

Will soon be on my third passport renewal at 27 and would LOVE to finally start traveling in style!

8. Anne G says:

Love the color, hope its mine! Traveling to Ireland in June and I plan to get one soon.

9. CC says:

Nice accessory for keeping passports safe and clean. The color makes it hard to leave behind! Thanks for the contest!

10. Stepanie Li says:

I’ve always wanted a passport wallet, and this would be great for my very first work trip this summer!

11. Gail Pesses says:

Hadn’t given this much thought til I read your article. Now I desperately want travel wallet before summer vacation comes!

12. I am looking for unique and useful gifts that I can give my clients before they take their vacations.
    I think I might just have found something that would be perfect. Is it possible to get my logo on these?

13. Linda S. says:

I need to think about renewing my passport in the next year; with that pink, I wouldn’t miss finding it in my travel bag!

14. Sandy H says:

This could be the impetus for my next trip! Love it!

15. Cynthia says:

What a beautiful gift idea! I have two coworkers with birthdays coming up this would be ideal for. On the website it says it comes in black and tan which are perfect for men.

16. tscateh says:

I think this would be a great thing to relieve some worries in the back of your mind when traveling. We almost got pickpocketed while sardine-canned in the Parisian Metro – and with everone so close on the trains, it would be easy to use an RFID reader. Great idea!

17. Nancy James says:

Travel and possess the world … you’ll be tickled pink!

18. Art Edwards says:

So as I understand it, the wallet keeps my chips from being used around the old block.

19. Sharon B says:

This passport blocking wallet makes ID protection a non-worry, traveling or not. I’d absolutley keep my credit card(s)in it after/during a trip. It’s an attractive way to deal with a big problem in today’s world.

20. Rick says:

My passport keeps getting curled corners. This might keep it flat.

Can I get Black or tan if I win?

Cheers

21. Tina Graham says:

My husband and I travel a couple times a year, mostly cruises. With this item I know I would be the envy of some of my fellow cruisers. Maybe I should give this to him since he never knows where his passport is.

22. Tina Graham says:

I know I already sent a comment however, I must say I love the Royce web site.

23. Karen says:

How wonderful this would be to keep our passports safe! Love, love the color!

24. EBeth says:

Can’t resist a chance for anything wild berry…
    thanks.

25. Judy says:

I am a 9 year Cancer survivor I often wear and celebrate the color pink.I started traveling to Europe 90 days after I was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 and have been back every year since. This would be the perfect thing for me to carry my passport in which will be renewed in 2013.

26. Thei says:

Thanks for the information. Although I might have read about it, I never thought that it can happen to me. I now need to protect my passport and this elegant, colorful wallet is difficult to resist!

27. Melinda says:

Great idea! Can’t be too safe when it comes to protecting your person information.

28. Denise says:

I need a new passport holder. A new pink one would look better than the old black holder I have now.

29. Sarah says:

WELL…How cool is that!?!?

30. Barbee says:

Travel is such a privledge to experence, this case another safeguard for our identity that prevents the unfortunate occurances you read about. I would be honored to recieve and carry! Our passports are out for renewal right now, so a new case would be a nice welcome home for those treasured documents! The color is icing on the cake…such a bright cheery color.

31. vagabondginger says:

Another good protection is that is covers that you are a US citizen when carrying your passport.
    I try to travel low profile in these targeted times of terrorism.

32. Susan says:

Have older passports but coming up for renewal soon. Definitely need to safeguard new ones. Brother-in-law had his info ‘stolen’ so want to avoid that!

33. David Keeler says:

Beginning trip to Europe on Monday, which will include Italy. Interesting that when I contacted American Express about their car rental insurance program, one of the countries not covered was Italy, which has a reputation for traveler scams.

Although none of my current credit cards currently have an embedded chip, the technology has been used in Europe for a number of years. As they saying goes: once you devise a better lock, someone devises a better lock pick. In spite of State Department assurances of the passport chip being protected (when the passport is closed), a little more assurance that this RFID blocking provides is a sound investment.

Thanks to Royce for bringing this product out. For this trip now, I’m going to wrap foil around my passport as suggested in the article, until the RFID blocking wallet is available.

34. What a stylish way to protect your data!

35. Len Gardner says:

I like the idea very much, however, is PINK the only color? The RFID blocking is certainly worth having but you can be sure the thieves are already at work attempting to devise an unblocker. Congrats to Royce!

36. Stephanie says:

What a great idea! I have many chipped items and am leaving on my oe soon but never thought of that happening – it’s always good to stay one step ahead!

37. Diana says:

I think this is awesome! and I personally love the color :-) I travel overseas a couple of times a year and am always worried about my passport getting bent in my purse, etc. So this would be perfect to protect it in general and stop someone with an RFID reader from getting my information. Your site is so helpful!

Thanks!
    Diana

38. Jill G'sell says:

If I am lucky enough to win this bright pink cover, I won’t have to resort to aluminum foil!! I’ve got my fingers crossed!

39. Aletha Hicks says:

How ingenious! I love it! I want it! I love to want it! I want to love it! Please send it to me!

40. Suzie says:

Great idea! Love the neon pink. Colors of neon green or neon blue for my husband would make it easier to fish out of my purse!

41. Jan Fraser says:

Looks cool and should do the job.

42. David Marlow says:

After reading about Royce RFID-Blocking Passport Wallet I want one. Identity theft has become a major problem and device such as RFID-Wallet would help. The color pink is good, but really it could be any color as the protection value is the major concern. Send me two.

43. Jennifer says:

iWant! I’m not normally a ‘pink’ person, but this time I am :)

44. Guy Leonard says:

Good information I was not previously aware of. Thanks!

45. Laurel says:

I’d like to be in the running for one. Bright pink especially! I had wondered if foil would actually work, so that answered that question too. Thank you. Does this wallet also protect against magnets that cause problems with credit card strips? Thanks,

46. Dean says:

Interesting timing…my wife’s renewal fits the time frame of the chip insertion, and mine does not…And, her fave color?
    Right..pink!

47. Colleen says:

I just submitted my renewal paperwork to replace my passport that was issued pre-RFID to get one with my new name and would love this cover.

48. Maggie Callen says:

Unfortunately, identity theft is here to stay. Fortunately, now there is technology available to protect our electronic data. This is a great idea.

49. Mark says:

That color is truly stunning! with mother’s day coming soon, this would be a great gift!

50. Brenda H says:

This lovely wildberry cover would definitely class up my bent, wrinkled, warped, curled, sweat-soaked passport. Thank you for offering it.