support group signYou crave it when you wake up in the morning, throughout the day and before you fall asleep at night. The more you do it, the more you want it, and there’s no such thing as “too much.” It’s travel. We here at Independent Traveler have heard some crazy stories of travel addiction from friends and relatives, and of course we’ve got a few of our own. But now it’s your turn.

Do you spend so much time at the airport that you know the TSA officers by name? Do you have more bottles of free hotel shampoo than you do pairs of underwear? If so, we want you to finish this sentence: “You know you’re addicted to travel when ____.”

Leave your submission in the comments below. We’ll gather your ideas, take the best of the best and craziest of the craziest, and compile them into a list that will have you seeking the nearest 12-step program. And, as an incentive, everyone who provides a submission will be entered to win a set of two shoe bags, perfect for keeping those nasty hiking boots or running shoes away from the rest of your wardrobe while traveling. We’ll choose a winner at random on Friday, January 13. (Be sure to include a valid e-mail address so we can contact you in case you win.)

– written by Ashley Kosciolek

141 Responses to “You Know You’re Addicted to Travel When…”

1. You know you are addicted to travel when your neighbors bring over a welcome gift thinking you may be a new neighbor.

2. If your addicted to travel, you probably have a travel nickname.
    What’s your nickname? If it’s….
    Ms or Mr Suitcase
    Adventure seeker
    Where’s Waldo or Wanda
    Ms or Mr Traveling Pants
    etc
    I respond to some of the above. However, I do have my limits. Hi, my nickname is Ms Traveling Pants. AND, I’m addicted to travel.

3. Kathleen C. says:

It’s not sample size….it’s travel size.

4. Keira says:

You know you’re addicted to travel when your home feels like a hotel and a hotel feels like home.

5. Lonna Pickett says:

you know your addicted to travel— when you— keep your suite case packed!

6. you realize that your HOBBY is googling the map

7. Your ‘breakfast’ is Google Map instead of Facebook or Twitter

8. I know I’m addicted to travel because I don’t have a permanent residence, when I return to our homebase I forget where I’m temporarily living, and I generally don’t remember what the rental car looks like for at least two weeks. However, it’s all so totally worth it!!

9. Barbara Boyd says:

…your checks say “Have passport, will travel.”

10. Donna says:

You know you’re addicted to travel when the only sites you visit on the web all deal with travel! I’ve been thinking of starting a 12 step program for folks like me…….. Naaah!

11. Cliff Kolber says:

You know you are addicted to travel when strangers referred to you by friends and relatives start contacting you for advice on travel destinations.

12. Cliff Kolber says:

You know you are addicted to travel when friends want to know which “trip-of-a-lifetime” you are taking. This month.

13. Cliff Kolber says:

You know you are addicted to travel when friends worry about you because you’ve been home more than a month.

14. Ms. Can't Travel Enough says:

You know you’re addicted to travel when:

1. You have your travel itinerary set for the next year in advance, none of which is business related!!

2. Your friends think and say you are rich, when in reality you know that you aren’t rich financially, just rich in travel experiences!!

3. You can’t decide where to go on your next trip because you’ve already been there!!

• David says:

I laughed a lot at your comments here because all three of them described me to a “T”! From the main list of 16 travel addictions shown on the front page here, several others fit me too (i.e., while on a trip you plan another one (done that several times); while a tourist in a foreign city you are asked and give directions to other tourists (done that several times)). :)

15. gary says:

you know you are addicted when after retiring you go back to work just so you can go farther and stay longer.

16. Ellen says:

We experience almost all of these. I go into depressiion if the next cruise isn’t already planned. In the dictionary, retirement should be synonymous with travel.

17. Red says:

You know you’re addicted when your colleagues are shocked you don’t have travel plans this upcoming holiday period.

18. ed thomas says:

You know you’re addicted, when you already have a “shoe bag” in your travel bag.

19. ed thomas says:

When you keep a “wound care kit” in your travel bag.

20. trudy byerly says:

You are addicted when you are on a long trip to a foreign country and you plan a foreign trip from there within that trip.

21. Jean says:

when your husband and close friends call you gypsy

22. Deb Longworth says:

when you don’t check your packing list until after your bags are already packed and then it is just an afterthought.

When your suitcase has been to six continents and the corners are wearing through.

When your friends ask you where you are off to next, and they seem astonished if you only give them one destination.

23. Peter says:

When you decorate your bedroom to look like a hotel room because it’s more familiar. BTW, that’s my wife’s description of me. At least I think it’s my wife or maybe some strange woman that’s been hanging around for the last 16 years.

24. structured settlement annuities says:

You know you’re addicted to travel when you grab every seat sale your airlines offer. It doesn’t matter where you go, as long as there is a seat available, you’ll grab it.

25. Paul says:

When your motto is ‘Come I may , but go I must’.

26. mike says:

My “favorite places” on my computer are all airlines, destinations, and my “bucket list” of places to go. My screensaver is my next destination thats booked but is 4 months away!

27. Landon says:

You know the timetable to each airline by heart for your destination without even having to look it up.

28. Landon says:

You know the timetable of every airline by heart without even looking it up; know what type of plane it probably is, know its on-time arrival rate and know when you’ll get there.

29. Virtue says:

BTW, that’s my wife’s description of me. At least I think it’s my wife or maybe some strange woman that’s been hanging around for the last 16 years.know what type of plane it probably is, know its on-time arrival rate and know when you’ll get there

30. Alan G says:

You start to unpack after the 12-hour flight home and think…Why bother?

31. Alan G says:

You start speaking a foreign language to your family every morning until the caffeine kicks in.

32. Alan G says:

You know all the rows that have limited seat recline, and begin to memorize those with limited foot room.

33. Holly K says:

The list of places you haven’t been yet is waaay shorter than those you’ve already seen!

You start to mention the upcoming business trip and your friend’s eyes glaze over…

The dog thinks you’re an intruder.

Your boss stopped keeping track of where you are a long time ago!

34. Shameelah says:

You know you’re addicted to travel when the only website you enjoy and spend hours on is: booking.com where you book hotels (with free cancelation of course, just in case the trip doesn’t finalize)….but it usually does.

Now that’s pro-active!

35. Kay says:

The customs agents know you by name and wave you through.

36. Carole says:

You know you are addicted to travel when you call the front desk of your hotel in Costa Rica and say “habla Espanol?’to the clerk when you only speak English.

37. Alan G says:

…your passport is now twice as thick because of the customs stickers,
    …and you caught yourself saying…”OMG, it’s October and I’ve only reached Platinum!”

38. Matt says:

You know you’re addicted to travel when a) you instinctively know where the nearest toilet is at an airport, b) one of your most frequently visited websites is skyscanner.net, and c) your friends are surprised when you announce that you will be home for “a short break”.

39. CAwinediva says:

You’re addicted when you know your luggage is disposable, and you don’t care. Also if you’re not afraid to eat chicken in China.

40. Carmen Critchlow says:

You know you are addicted to travel, when you have travel folders for the next three years – yes, London and Paris, Prague and Budapest, and Ireland and Scotland, and have day to day itineraries for all of them.