Explore. Experience. Engage.

Home Travel Tips Travel Deals Destinations Trip Reviews Blog

dog cat suitcase pet travelThe screaming baby, the armrest hog, the big sweaty guy who forgot to put on deodorant — these top many travelers’ lists of undesired airplane seatmates. But one reader recently wrote in to complain about a fellow passenger of the furry, four-legged variety:

“On an Alaska flight, a cat was placed behind me. I was not asked if it was all right with me. I have medical problems with cats and do not want to travel with cats or dogs. … I should have been told at the time of reservation that animals were going to be onboard, so I could have made a decision not to travel on that flight. … Let animals stay in the cargo area where they belong. They leave behind scents and hair.”

It’s true that the rights of traveling pet owners currently trump the rights of passengers who start sneezing as soon as they even look at a cat or dog. Part of that, of course, has to do with money; airlines rake in anywhere from $75 (Southwest) to $125 (Delta and American Airlines) every time someone brings his or her pet into the cabin. But it can also be a matter of safety. While thousands of people ship their pets in the cargo hold every year, there are plenty of horror stories about animals dying during the process — often due to extreme hot or cold temperatures while the plane is sitting on the ground. (Cargo hold climate controls kick in only when the plane is actually in flight.)

So what’s an allergic traveler to do? First off, when you check in for your flight, ask an airline staffer whether there will be any animals onboard. If so, the agent may be able to help you find an alternate flight. Of course, change fees or other penalties may apply.

If you’re on the plane before you realize you’ve been seated next to someone’s furry friend, speak with the flight attendant — he or she may be able to find someone else willing to switch seats with you, especially if you have a pressing health concern.

Do you think it’s fair for pets to be allowed on planes? Vote in our poll or leave a comment below!

— written by Sarah Schlichter

36 Responses to “Should Pets Be Allowed on Planes?”

1. Pemberton says:

Pets are people too! Well, not really. But they should be permitted to fly in the cabin on some flights. However, I think that allergy suffers should at least be able to change flights without paying extra fees if they’re going to be stuck onboard with something that will make them sick.

This reminds me of the debate on whether there should be a designated “family section” for passengers with children on planes. Although in my experience, people seem to get more annoyed when they’re seated near a crying baby versus a small dog.

2. Michael says:

I’m not an animal hater by any means, but human comfort and concern comes before pets. Allergies to dogs and more so to cats is a very common condition. Those who have allergies towards cats and dogs have no choice but to deal with it and stay away from them. Pet owners make a choice to own a pet and to travel with them, they should be the ones who need to find alternat means of travel for them and if need be, endure the extra cost and discomfort that goes with it NOT Joe or Jane traveler. It’s about choice, pet owners have a choice, those with allergies do not. Pets should not be allowed in the cabin of any flight.

• Jenny says:

Thank you Michael! we are not pet haters either but our child is deathly allergic to dogs and we are told very often the dogs come before our child. It is a choice to have a pet, our little one had no say in the matter.

3. quacks5 says:

I’ve had both pets and allergies (mainly to plants) my whole life, so I have sympathy for both sides. The good thing about true allergies (as opposed to non-allergic rhinitis, I have had both) is that it is treatable–take an antihistamine. (Of course, anyone prone to severe allergic reactions should always have emergency meds on hand.) There are many uncomfortable things about flying that you cannot control, and the dry, stale air is one of them that bothers me.

You can’t avoid animals on planes entirely, as working animals will be permitted on board. I once had a transatlantic flight to Turkey right after some earthquakes and one of the passengers was a search and rescue dog being sent as a gift. Since he was a working dog he did not have to be kenneled, and even took a walk or two during the course of the long flight. (Of course, he was well-trained and perfectly behaved.)

When I was in grad school once I flew home and took my two cats as cargo since I didn’t have any where to leave them. In the puddle jumper that was the last leg of the flight cargo was behind a divider in the back of the plane and we could all hear them screaming before take off. I’m not sure how them flying as cargo was any better on the passengers when cargo doesn’t have separate ventilation. On the return trip they had to stay with my parents an extra week until the weather warmed up enough for them to fly back as cargo. I decided then I’d never again send pets as cargo. Only once have I taken a pet on board, and he was calm and quiet the whole way.

I wouldn’t want to take pets on vacation, and now with four cats and a dog a pet sitter is really the only option. But sometime you can’t help it. My niece and her Air Force husband drove from Alaska to Florida just so they could relocate their pets without flying, but that wasn’t an option when he was posted to Germany. I don’t know how they managed to take three cats and an infant transatlantic, but I’m sure it wasn’t fun for them or anyone else.

4. Charlene says:

Are you people completely heartless?? Animals should have just as much right on flights as we have!! What about the woman who don’t have kids or cannot have kids, that have dogs they love just as much as their own children? Don’t they have the right to travel with their children? Have you got any idea how traumatic it is for a little dog to be put in Cargo all alone with such intense noise? On top of all that the emotional stress the dog owner has to go thru during that flight.
    Animals have got more right on the planet than we do cause at least they don’t destroy the planet and pollute the air like humans do. As far as allergies are concerned… get over it and take an antihistamine and most of the time you’ll only get an allergy if you touch the animal… like seriously that is such a pathetic excuse!! I also suffer from severe allergies but I still love all animals.

• Maya says:

Just because you are an animal lover doesn’t mean you have the right to force it on me and I shouldn’t have to be forced to take allergy meds to deal with them. and some people’s religious beliefs also prevents them from being around animals. Human comfort comes become animal comfort like it or not. And just because you love something doesn’t mean we all have to love it or take meds to deal with it. Thankfully most people are against having animals or planes, they belong in the cargo not in the cabin and if you can’t handle that don’t own a pet but don’t force it on me in the process.

• Jamie says:

Just because you (or someone else) has a baby, it doesn’t mean that you have the right to force it on me.

It is not fair that babies can usually fly for free on the lap of the parent, but my cat cannot. Moreso, I have to make special arrangements for her! I moved across the Pacific recently, and there was no option but a flight, and I will never, EVER suscept the love of my life to traveling in the cargo hold. That’s cruel. You wouldn’t put a baby in there, would you?

People need to get over themselves and realize that pets are just as much a part of the family as children, and have often been parts of the family for longer than babies. They should be allowed in the plane under the same rules.

• youmakemesick says:

I know people who are so severely allergic to dogs and cats that their throat closes up and they can’t breathe! How dare you assume that everyone has the same allergic reaction and that a pill will cure it all. You need to get your facts straight before making assumptions about allergy sufferers. It’s people like you that give pet owners a bad rap.

I’ve never heard of anyone being allergic to smelly armpits, crying babies, etc. – those are just inconveniences that can be dealt with. Anaphylactic shock, on the other hand, will result in DEATH.

And, no, we would never put a baby in the cargo hold because it is a HUMAN. There is a huge difference between a human baby and an animal. If you can’t see it, I’m sorry that your eyes don’t work. If you don’t want your animal to go through the stresses of cargo travel, then you should ride in the cargo with it to console it.

• I'm a kid who loves furry friends says:

All the comments I read are mostly
            1)animals should be allowed on planes as much as humans
            2)animal lovers have no thought for people who are allergic to animals
            3)human and animals are really different, humans have the rights to enjoy higher rights than animals
            What is my opinion?
            Well, animals are lives, lives as important as a human beings’s,no matter what it is, a dog, a cat, a hamster and more animals. These are all lives, so , I think they have as much rights to be able to go on a plane as a human,some people think that human should have more rights than animals, well, I can’t argue with that, but it just basically means that you think a life is more important than another, choosing between a beloved person and a beloved pet for a pet lover is like asking them if their wife and mother dropped into the sea, who will they save, so they will get really protective of animals and critics against them, gonna understand that,some animal lovers and pet owners get really heated when they see these comments for this article, I was too but I calmed down before I lashed out and say unreasonable stuff that are hurtful to some, to me, it is unfair to force someone who has a deadly allergy to pets or just detest pets and can’t stand them at all to sit next to someone with their furry friend with them, but, it is just as unfair to force a pet owner to leave their pets alone in cargo hold against their wish for the comfort of others when they can enjoy their furry friend’s company right there in the cabin. Since it is so unfair, you can prevent this in a few extra steps.

Firstly, the pet owners
            You wanna be close to your pet, but you don’t wanna risk someone’s life for your own comfort, what do you do?
            When you are booking your tickets AND your furry friend is allowed to be in the cabin with you, you should reinforce that you have a pet with you and it is going to be in the cabin, so please don’t let pessengers with allergies to pets to be in the same cabin as you, secondly, when in the cabin, don’t be afraid to make sure that the others in the cabin are fine with your furry friend being in the same cabin as them.Thirdly, don’t let your pet disturb others unless others wanted to play with your furry friend in their own accord.πŸ˜‡In this way, you are the passengers considerate angel!πŸ˜‡

Now for the people who are allergic to pets or detest pets
            You don’t wanna be risking your life in a flight, or being in the most uncomfortable spot next to a pet in a flight. What do you do?
            When you are booking your tickets, make it clear to the flight company that you absoulutely cannot stand pets, have a allergy to them, may/will have a life threatening flight if they are there or any other problems you have when you sit next to pets. The company will definitely take note and give you the seat and cabin you want, next, when you get into your cabin, check your cabin for signs of pets or pets them self, if you do, request to change seats before the plane takes off, there is got to be a empty seat available for you somewhere in the pessengers cabin,pet free.
            Be your own angel!πŸ˜‡
            Lastly, animals are precious to their owners, do not criticize them just because you have a personal grudge against them, and, don’t make someone’s deadly allergy sound like a joke or a completely unimportant thing, a person’s health is really important.
            And Nadia, some animals have been through more thick and thin with their owners than any human beings,it is so understandable if they favor their pet more than so,e humans, plus, animal lovers just defend animals but not favor animals over humans, it is the same logic like if you like a particle food or item, it doesn’t mean that they favor that item over humans right? Animals and humans are totally equal, so animal lovers are not sickos who need therapy.(you are though)
            BTW, if you have a dog, that is smelly and nasty and sheds like hell, you are probably a pet owner that cannot tame your own dog, didn’t buy a shampoo that is specially designed for dogs or you wasted that shampoo by leaving it to rot in bathroom but never use it, and dogs don’t actually shed that often, once or twice a day and done!(I have asked many dog owners) If your dog sheds all the time, maybe it has a disease or you shaved of all its fur and tried to put them back but it is not working? As for your comment that animals belong in the cargo hold, humans are animals too, we are mammals for goodness sake, we are just borned with higher intelligence , and if you still think that animals belong in the cargo hold, how about you go in there and experience and six or more hours flight?
            PS.i am 12

• Nadia says:

(People need to get over themselves and realize that pets are just as much a part of the family as children, and have often been parts of the family for longer than babies) LMAO seriously!! Do you hear yourself???? Pets have been part of the family longer than babies!!!

Animals/pets are NOT people and don’t have the same rights and shouldn’t have the same rights. But if some lunatics out there think they are, fine they still belong in the cargo hold though. I would rather deal with a human baby who cries, drools etc than a smelly, shedding, nasty dog any day. BTW sickos who favor animals over humans need some serious therapy, yeah check your medication dosage dear.

• animeme says:

Ok, number one, what are yall hatin? Everyone and thing have right no matter what. So if the person says can you move your pet to the cargo area then that should not be a problem.but dont go making a big deal and just ask nicely if they could do something so ypu dont have to suffer. Now, on other terms, what if your dog is a maltese or something and is hypo allergenic meaning they have hair instead of fur hm?

5. Charlene says:

And another thing most of our little dogs are cleaner than most people and don’t stink like the humans on airplanes. What about the big fat guy that books one seat when he is supposed to book two seats. People carry more diseases than small pets and that’s a fact. We allow dogs into our homes and we love them as our own children, why should they be treated like a disease on flights. They teach us how to love and they love us unconditionally.

6. Brian says:

I love how everyone who assumes cats/dogs shouldn’t be allowed on planes are ‘heartless’

I feel that I have a heart and love and own animals, but I made a choice to own them. My choice to love and care for an animal is mine and mine alone. Boarding a plane with my animals is rude in my opinion – again, this coming from a cat and dog owner.

You basically force your decision to own a cat or a dog onto many other people by taking them on an airplane.

Furthermore, I have relatives who are deathly allergic (yes, DEATH). How would you feel if a small child died on an airplane because you decided you couldn’t live without your cat? Granted that’s worst case scenario but that odds are that there are many allergy sufferers on any flight you board with your cat – you are basically ruining those peoples flights.

To Charlene – I can see you are very heated about this subject, but your statement that people only get allergies when they ‘touch’ animals is outlandish. The vast majority of people who suffer from allergies, do so because of airborne allergens, such as polin and cat/dog dander. I don’t see people who suffer from polin going around rubbing their faces in the trees. I’m happy to see that you love your pets so much, but putting them in confined spaces with humans that didn’t choose to be there w/ something that makes them suffer so much (speaking from experience) can be traumatizing to humans and animals alike

Consider this situation – you bring a cat on an airplane for a cross-country flight. There is a small child there with severe allergies. They didn’t bring their meds because most people don’t realize that cats specifically are allowed on flights (most people know about dogs, ie seeing eye dogs, etc). The child starts to suffer immensely and stops breathing. Is the childs life and comfort worth more than that of your cat(s)? Think about that before your respond – I’d find it hard to respect anyone that feels a cats/pets life is more important than that of a child.

Im sorry, but I call that downright rude and irresponsible and arrogant in some cases

• Dez says:

The simplest solution would be for airlines to offer pet-free flights for the severely allergic.

However, your allergy is your own responsibility — to plan ahead, whether for a trip to the grocery or a trip to Europe.

One of my best friends is DEATHLY allergic to bees. Yet she carries an epi-pen, not only in the garden or the woods, but EVERYWHERE. Even in places where bees are not expected to to be. Like airplanes. She takes responsibility for her health, and plans ahead.

Most people who travel with their pets do not do so simply because they can’t stand to be parted from Fluffy for a week while on vacation. Many people are moving — relocating their entire lives. Are they expected to re-home their beloved pet (in the best case) or euthanize their pet (if options run out) just in case there MIGHT be a dangerously allergic person on board the plane when they travel? That is absurd. “I’m moving, and I have to get on a plane, so I have to give away or kill my pets, IN CASE there MIGHT be an allergic person on the plane.” Consider the emotional trauma, not to mention the absurdity of this extreme “just in case” scenario.

I have several dangerously allergic dear friends and family members, all of whom agree that it is THEIR responsibility to plan ahead for their individual allergies. The notion that someone else mentioned — “not everyone knows that pets are allowed on planes” — is a weak argument. If you are deadly allergic to something, it is YOUR responsibility to make certain that you take precautions to ask if pets are booked on the flight, just as another close friend of mine takes the responsibility to ask the chef if there is any mustard, at all — even a tiny fleck — in the food before she orders, because she actually HAS a life-threatening allergy to mustard.

Animals cannot simply be put in the hold with the luggage in all cases; if there is not a climate controlled luggage hold, many animals have arrived frozen to death that way. In fact, it is not uncommon at all.

Insofar as people “forcing” their choice of having a pet on others by carrying them onto a plane — wearing SCENT is also a personal choice, and people force their perfume and cologne on me ALL the time, EVERYWHERE. I have mild asthma, but, thankfully, no pet allergies. Strong chemical odors set me off. Thank heavens my asthma is not severe, but if there could be a perfume- and cologne-free flight, I would choose it. But if I were DANGEROUSLY allergic, should all the persons who chose to wear scent be evicted from the plane on my behalf, or should I plan ahead and pre-medicate myself because, unfortunately, it is more likely than not that a person seated next to me will be wearing scent? I vote to protect myself and not expect the world to anticipate my needs.

In addition, most people who DO leave their pets at home with a sitter or kennel them for vacations or business travel will STILL have pet dander and hair on their clothing, carry-on luggage, etc. For a dangerously allergic person, even sitting next to a person with dander on their jacket is EVERY bit as allergy-triggering as sitting next to a live animal.

The best solutions, if you MUST travel with your pet (particularly people who are relocating) is to seek a reliable and documented private pet transport service. But this is not always available internationally.

I have allergies. I take responsibility for my own allergies, which includes investigating where and when I might be exposed to allergens, and I premedicate and being emergency supplies, because my health is my responsibility and I cannot expect the world to come to a halt for my allergies. Nor do my friends.

7. Brian says:

Furthermore, you can’t simply just ‘take an antihistamine’ – for certain kinds of allergies I have you have to take 3 different kinds of antihistamine + a beta blocker + eye drops + I have a rescue inhaler because, well… I stop breathing.

That kind of statement is short-sighted at best…

8. Nyler says:

There should be certain flights that are pet friendly. Animals should be kept in kennels. Everyone is happy. I always have to sit on a plane with a crying baby. Barking is just is just as annoying. And allergies are a real threat. I see both sides. But with pets who are baby’s to some consideration should be made for both parties.

9. Martha Bailey says:

Charlene, love it, I couldn’t have said it better.

• msfairwe says:

anyone who thinks people love their animals as much as people love their children wasn’t loved as a child and needs to get their head examined.

10. Laura says:

I can’t travel on an airplane or go into an airport without getting sick for several days. This is (probably) because of my severe dog and cat allergies. People carry the dander around on their clothes. If there were a dog or cat actually ON the plane, I don’t know what would happen, but I would get at least really, really sick.
    If my allergies were less severe, I could travel on a plane if there weren’t dogs or cats on it.
    People with allergies need no-animals flights (including no service animals!).
    And I don’t see anything terrible about transporting one’s pet in the cargo section, as long as the airline treats it well. Large pets would always go in the cargo section of an airplane, anyway.

11. Tiffany says:

I think that there should be some flights where pet are allowed and others where they are not. That way, everyone could be happy- pets would be much safer and less anxious (though most likely still not totally comfortable with the flight) but allergy sufferers (or just people opposed to animals on a flight for whatever reason) would also have a fair option.

• Julie says:

Nice to see that somebody (and Nyler above) has suggested the most sensible option – i.e. pet friendly flights and non-pet friendly flights.

Seems a much better option than just throwing hate at each other, baby v’s pets bashing, and talking about death from pets.

Joe below for example, instead up getting all wound up about the possibilities of death and Rover having to go into the hold, why not just consider the option of having say 1 or 2 pet friendly flights a week… people who will choke and die on sight of a pet have a billion other flights they can choose from. You can even make 1 or 2 planes the pet specific non-pet planes so there’s no chance of a random pet hair ever finding it’s way on the plane, although I’m sure there’s always a few pet hairs on every flight just from owners clothing.

12. Joe says:

No matter how much you all love your pets and delusionally allude to their “humanistic qualities,” the fact remains that sitting next to a crying baby on an airplane is obnoxious at best; sitting next to a dog or cat can be DEADLY! Frankly, I am quite tired of having to fight cat people in stores, restaurants, airplanes, and parks because they can’t get it through their thick skulls that my twelve year old daughter is asthmatic and has been driven into five day hospital stays due to pet dander. The last time I asked a women to take her dog off of the playground because my daughter was highly allergic and playgrounds are NOT for animals, she threatened to track me down and “cut my throat” because her “fur-baby is her child just like my daughter is mine.” Pet worship is totally and completely out of control in this country. Enjoy your moment pet lovers, the first time an airline has to fork over 100 million because some kid died en route because of dander exacerbation, Rover will be back in the luggage compartment.

• Jenny says:

Hi Joe We have a daughter with the exact same problem. Her throat has closed three times from her dog allergy. We have also been threatened when we ask someone to take their dog to the dog park instead of the normal park where we are trying to let our daughter play.
      I would be interested on contacting you and comparing notes with you about your daughter. We have not found many others like our daughter and we are trying to raise awareness for kids like them.

13. Liz says:

I love my pets, but I do think pet owners need to be respectful of those around them. While I do think people need to be sympathetic to allergy sufferers- and people have gone too extreme with “my child will eat peanut butter and you can’t take my child’s sandwich away” the issue with flying is that animals have to be allowed on planes in some capacity. Services dogs will always be allowed on planes because they are needed for some individuals to function, and refusing the service dogs violates the ADA. I’m sure that you wouldn’t argue that disabled individuals who need service animals should not fly if they need their dog- given that it is the same argument many people make against people with allergies- if the allergy is that bad they shouldn’t take any risk. On a plane, it is further impossible to completely eliminate pet dander given how many pet owners fly, and requiring that they change into clean clothes or not fly is not a realistic solution. I do think that allergy suffers should be given the option to change seats if needed.

14. wheezy says:

Animals should not be allowed in the cabin period. Some people have such horrific allergies to animals that emergency medication doesn’t work and usually results in hospitalization. I personally feel it is a human tight violation. I shouldn’t have to change my travel plans for an animal, it should be the other way around.

• renee says:

I absolutely agree! Now its come to human with allergies to pets cant fly anymore but dogs can??
      Something very wrong about this!

15. Mary says:

I have asthma and fragrance sensitivity which not only triggers asthmas attacks but migraine headaches. I have had to put up with people who listen to music so loud I could sing along (headphones or no headphones), fussy kids who can’t sit still (my first flight at age 4 was from Seattle to Chicago and I sat there and behaved myself, because SURPRISE! I knew how!). I have worked in veterinary medicine AND in travel and I would NEVER put a pet in cargo. They die in cargo far more than is publicized and it is not a pleasant death. If your allergies are that severe, you have your epinephrine, because you could react to LOTS of things in the environment. You can’t sit next to me with my cat? I can’t sit next to you with your down jacket, overpowering perfume and screaming kid. But I will take a Benadryl, have my inhalers handy and count the minutes.

16. Jessica says:

Crying babies yeah another human but a disgusting, smelly, dog NO. You made a choice to own one to fill whatever void you may have, fine but there are people out there who would rather not sit next to your pet even if they are not allergic. Unless you paid a full ticket for Ur dog then throw it in the cargo hold where it belongs. It’s not okay to shove it in people’s face or assume that everyone is okay with Ur dog sitting close to them on a 10 hr flight. Dogs / cats are NOT people and if u need a therapeutic animal while U travel tough luck, u can always change meds and see a better therapist for Ur issue.

17. Louise says:

Isnt it ironic that you cannot send a peanut butter sandwich to school due to allergies but it is okay to take a pet on a plane with no regard to the children that could be allergic to it.

18. renee says:

Absolutely not. A perfect example that just happened was a 7 year old boy who was travelling with his Dad who has stage 4 cancer for a last family trip had to leave the plane due to the young boys allergies to dogs once he broke out in hives. So now what?? People with allergies cant fly but dogs and cats can?? Bahahahaha!!! So stupid!
    How stupid and unreasonable people are to not understand that human health and safety come way before a dog or cat! Wtf is wrong with you people??
    I hope this changes real soon and no doubt it will. How they ever even allowed this to pass (allowing pets in cabin) is ridiculous!!
    It wont last and I hope not! Customers complain only when people bring their dogs in our store, never mind a 4 or 6 hour flight.

• renee says:

All it will take is one person to die from an allergic reaction to reverse this and that would be such a sad outcome.
      When you buy a pet you are an adult and know full well they cant be allowed everywhere with you.
      Not to mention how selfish this is of pet owners.
      I cant imagine losing a family member because of this ridiculous new policy

19. Jeanne says:

I can understand both sides of the issue, since I am an animal lover, but also have allergies to some. A solution seems simple enough. Have pet free flights that don’t allow pets in the cabin, and other flights that do. Just like they used to do with smoking. Before everything became smoke free, they used to have smoke free, and smoking environments in some places.
    One other solutions is make sure all cargo holds that have carry pets be climate controlled even on the ground. Seems simple enough, it is the responsibility of the airline, they are causing the problems, because they don’t want to spend the money.

20. wrlgrl says:

WAIT A MINUTE!!! The airline can’t serve peanuts to protect someone on board that may have an allergic reaction, but they allow animals on board regardless if anyone on the plane is allergic to animals? Am I the only one that thinks there is seriously something wrong here?

I am most definitely an animal lover, to the core. My whole have many totally beloved cats and dogs my whole life. BUT! I am also allergic to dogs and severe asthma. So I wonder, what are my rights?
    When I am in the proximity of a dog and allergic; my asthma symptoms will appear within 15-30 minutes I begin coughing and will become short of breath. Really short of breath. Do you know you can DIE from an asthma attack. So I wonder again what are my rights?
    I was on recently on a flight from SLC to Chicago. My seat was next to a passenger with a small dog. The first thing I thought as I took my seat was, “great, last thing I need is an asthma attack on a plane”. Time passed and nothing. Cool! But what if I started to have an asthma attack? Do you know you can die from an asthma attack? So why should I have to change because someone needs their certified “emotional support pet with them on a plane? So it seems I have VERY FEW rights!

21. Jenny says:

Hi wrlgrl
    You are so right. Our daughter is deathly allergic to dogs. She has been close to death 4 times in her short 9 year life. It is so hard to find places we can take her and things we can do as a family because so many pet owners believe there dogs has the same rights as a human. We can no longer fly because airlines can not tell us if a dog has been on a plane or if there will be one on the same flight until we show up to board the flight. Our daughter is a living breathing human. The dog does not understand it is about to fly on an airplane, doesn’t know it is going on a vacation, will not remember being on the airplane. But our daughter and others that are allergic should just not be allowed to go so that animal can be sure to be on the plane. Even if we did not have a daughter like this I fail to see the logic of thinking here.
    Yes all live is valuable and all life does matter but human life does come before all other life. I am sorry that some don’t see it this way, it really says a lot about where we are as a society and how we treat one another.